Support our site SIGNUP FOR HOSTMONSTER.COM
Support our SiteOffice365 Home Premium 1YR Subscription
Update Office 2008
Introduction to updates:
Microsoft provides free updates for a released version. Updates can be found via the AutoUpdate (MAU) or Mactopia downloads. It is important that you update after installing. AutoUpdate can be set to notify you when updates are available. (It does not install until you OK.) You can also subscribe to the OfficeforMacHelp Blog to get announcements along with tips on the update.
To open Entourage 2008 AutoUpdate, select "Check for updates" under Help in the Menu bar for any Office application. The actual application can be found here:
/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app
You cannot update Office X, or Office 2004 to Office 2008 via an update. You must purchase the retail version and install from the CD.
Tip: Before updating Office, I suggest archiving (zipping) your Office folder or making a duplicate. There is no way to easily revert to a previous version after updating. If an Entourage database was upgraded you cannot revert the database to the previous version. Make a backup copy in case you would want to revert to the previous database version. See error This Identity Cannot Be Opened With This Version of Entourage
- Office 2008 must be installed in the boot volume.
- No applications should be running when you run the updater.
- Office 2008 must not be modified. Read Dos & Don'ts below.
- Restart your machine (sometimes the temp folder where the update wants to write to is locked, restarting your machine clears the temp folder and rectifies this problem)
- Hold Shift key down to disable startup applications. (All applications should be quit. Some users like to just quit what they think is necessary, but it easy to over look some of the hidden applications like the Microsoft Database daemon. If you use the Shift key when logging in to disable all, you will get everything.
- Restart after updating.
- If you have moved Office from the default install location of your root Application folder, this could present problems updating. This is especially true for Office 2008.
- Make sure that the user account you use to authenticate the update installer is an administrator account.
- Make sure that you downloaded the correct language version of the update for your copy of Office.
- Do not delete any of the Office applications. It could interefere with an update. Applications take up very little space. Just because they are installed does not mean you have to use them.
- If you rename or modify any of the files in the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, you cannot install product updates.
- Rename any Office components you may have renamed (for example, if you changed the name of Microsoft Word to Word 2008; rename it to Microsoft Word)
- If you moved any Office component out of the Microsoft Office 2008 folder, put it back.
Editing a template will not cause you issues.
- DO NOT make changes to the application bundles - like changing the info.plist files. This will cause upgrades to fail to find Office.
- There is a script out that someone has put together that modifies the info.plist for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel to help with interactions with Safari. Because the info.plist has been modified, the patch installer no longer recognizes the application as the ones that were installed
- There is an application out on sourceforge.net that will modify the resource bundles. Like the above issue, the application bundle has been changed and as such the patch installer no longer recognizes the application as one that has been installed by Microsoft.
- If you ran a language pack utility to save disk space this could cause the updater to fail.
- Examples of items that will prevent upgrade:
- If you are unsure what you might have changed....
- Quit all Microsoft applications (Easy way: log out/in with Shift key down to disable any startup items.)
- Drag the Microsoft Office 2008 folder to the Trash.
- Empty Trash.
- Reinstall Office 2008 from your original installation disk. See details
Update Errors have been moved.... See All Install/Update errors
Under Entourage in the menu bar select About Entourage. - You will find the version and build for Entourage. In this example the version is 11.3.3 and the build is (061214). More about build numbers.
Handy script that gives all version info for Office applications.
Find Office Version Info: This is a simple script to display the versions of the Office for Mac components. It will find the various applications wherever you have stashed, them, even on external hard drives (as long as they are mounted!). Even if ALL the Office applications aren't updated each time, the Microsoft Component Plugin, which isn't an app, will always show the latest update. Sorry, but I can't explain Microsoft's convoluted version update strategy.
Example: Screenshots not necessarily most current version!
Entourage X and 2004
Entourage 2008 requires a different script due to file name changes:
Screen shots not necessarily most current version!
Scripts belong in the Entourage Script Menu Items located in the Documents/Microsoft User Data Folder. You can also run the script from your User Script menu folder.
A script application does not go in the Entourage Script Menu Items folder. Place it on the desktop, in a Finder window, in your User Script menu folder, or in the Dock for easy access.
Your User Script menu folder
Authors: Bob Greenblatt, Barry Wainwright , Allen Watson, Bernard Rey, Corentin Cras-Méneur